Is beta mode planned to be added natively to turboprop engines? I heard Seb mentioning it before Sim Update 4, but no news since.
Currently, putting the power lever on reverse immediately sets the propeller pitch to full reverse and starts producing negative thrust.
What happens in reality is that when you put the power lever below idle in a turboprop it controls propeller pitch:
- Lever on idle: propeller beta is at the normal min_on_ground_beta position
- Pulling the lever back will decrease the propeller beta gradually until it hits the propeller's beta stop limit.
- From that point on, the propeller moves to full reverse pitch and pulling further back will increase the Ng, just like it does now in reverse.
The result of this is that when going in the reverse/beta range, the propeller initially produces less and less thrust from idle, until reaching the beta limit. Then, it goes into full negative pitch and starts producing reverse/negative thrust.
Required cfg values would be:
- beta_stop_angle: minimum pitch the prop can reach in beta mode
- throttle_beta_stop: the throttle position at which the beta valve stop is reached. I.e. -10% From throttle_beta_stop until full reverse throttle, prop beta goes to full reverse and moving the throttle back increases Ng (current reverse thrust logic)