plane icon Welcome to Microsoft Flight Simulator’s SDK Q&A Platform!

You have questions regarding the SDK? DevMode Tools? SimConnect? You would like to submit an idea for future improvements, seek help or exchange knowledge? You’re in the right place.

In the upcoming flighting, we've changed the behaviour of the content.xml file. If your addon uses this file, please read this article!

Please take a moment to read the platform’s guidelines before you get started!


question

roggeberg23 avatar image
roggeberg23 asked roggeberg23 answered

Engine behavior in package not stable and differs from engine behavior in development mode

Four days ago I published my first aircraft, a DC3, on the flightsim.to platform. I have about 800 downloads now and I think it is a success. But there are about 10 to 15 posts indicating that the engine dies when starting on a runway with engines running. And when I downloaded the package myself and installed in in an otherwise empty community folder I had the same problem!

First I increased the idle rpm a little bit, and published a new release. But that did not help. By the way the setting in the assistence options / failure and damage are all disabled, which includes the engine stress damage.

Because some people have problems and others don't, my next assumption was that the problem is caused by differences in the way each of us has set up MSFS. One area of possible differences are the settings in the options menu and assistance menu and another area are the differences in the HID's (Human Interface Devices) we use and possibly the preset manager.

I tested all kinds of MSFS settings, but I could not find a possible source for the problem.

And as the next step I disconnected my throttle quadrant and yoke, removed all presets via de preset manager, and only the default keyboard and the default mouse remained. No luck either, the problem remained.

Yesterday evening I noticed that the package still contained some old config files used during development. So I completely cleaned the package source and build the package. I closed the development mode, closed MSFS, put the new package in the community folder, restarted MSFS and started a flight. No Luck.

And than I got the idea to go into development mode again, load the project and start a flight. The DC3 did exactly what I had programmed it to do!!

An extra complication is that the packages, I tried many varients during the last days, sometimes all of a sudden start up in the right way when you start a flight.


packagetool
1 comment
10 |10000

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 4.8 MiB each and 23.8 MiB total.

Hello @roggeberg23 ,

The problem seems to be in the file engine.cfg in the [PISTON_ENGINE] section.

I switched this section to another one from another aircraft and everything works fine. So I think some values have to be changed (could be CHT and cooling)

Regards,
Boris

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
roggeberg23 avatar image
roggeberg23 answered

Thank you Boris for your input. It is nice to know people are thinking about this problem with me and support me!

In the mean time I have made a complete list of all parameters of the [PISTON_ENGINE] section as per SDK and added the DC3 settings. The coming days I intend to add a few asosbo aircrafts with piston engines to the list to be able to compare values parameter by parameter. The main reason I posted this item is the fact that there is a difference between the rwy startup in development mode (everything fine) and the the rwy startup with the pakckage in the community folder (runs OK in 1 to 8 tries (estimared), and 7 to 8 tries the engine is not OK)

So I continue to look for a mistake I made myself, but I keep in mind that something else might be the cause.

Regards, Roggeberg23

10 |10000

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 4.8 MiB each and 23.8 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 19.1 MiB each and 23.8 MiB total.