Wwise engine sound tutorial not working for me

Hi. I have been following the WWise tutorial to implement the engine sounds but I can’t get them to work.

Is there any gotcha that I might be missing and someone have solved before? Anything that might have changed since they did the video?

Any help would be great.

I am just wondering, what calls for the WWise event “combustion”?

Does the game call for it on its own or do we need to call it like the other sound events in the xmls?

As far as I am aware of, the video tutorial is still valid.

If you need more informations, I suggest you to take a look at the Wwise Documentation, maybe there are some details your are looking for that the videos aren’t covering.

Aircraft related sounds are defined in the sound.xml of your aircraft.
If you take the DA62 sample ( downloadable here ), you can find these Wwise Event Definitions :

<!-- ENG1///////////////////////////// --> 	
<Sound WwiseEvent="Combustion" ConeHeading="145" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.2" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" >
	<WwiseRTPC SimVar="GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION SOUND PERCENT" Units="PERCENT OVER 100" RTPCReleaseType="Linear" RTPCReleaseTime="0.5" Index="1" RTPCName="SIMVAR_GENERAL_ENG_COMBUSTION_SOUND_PERCENT" />
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Combustion" CustomSuffix="Exhaust" ConeHeading="135" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.2" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" ViewPoint="Outside" EngineIndex="1" >   
	<WwiseRTPC SimVar="GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION SOUND PERCENT" Units="PERCENT OVER 100" RTPCReleaseType="Linear" RTPCReleaseTime="0.5" Index="1" RTPCName="SIMVAR_GENERAL_ENG_COMBUSTION_SOUND_PERCENT" />
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Starter" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.1" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" >  
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="CombustionStart" ConeHeading="145"  WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" >  
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="CombustionStart" CustomSuffix="Propeller" ConeHeading="30" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" >
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Shutdown" ConeHeading="145" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" > 
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Shutdown" CustomSuffix="Propeller" ConeHeading="30" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" >
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Propeller" ConeHeading="30" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.2" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="1" >  
</Sound>

<!-- ENG2///////////////////////////// -->     
<Sound WwiseEvent="Combustion" ConeHeading="215" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.2" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" >
	<WwiseRTPC SimVar="GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION SOUND PERCENT" Units="PERCENT OVER 100" RTPCReleaseType="Linear" RTPCReleaseTime="0.5" Index="2" RTPCName="SIMVAR_GENERAL_ENG_COMBUSTION_SOUND_PERCENT" />
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Combustion" CustomSuffix="Exhaust" ConeHeading="225" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.2" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" >  
	<WwiseRTPC SimVar="GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION SOUND PERCENT" Units="PERCENT OVER 100" RTPCReleaseType="Linear" RTPCReleaseTime="0.5" Index="2" RTPCName="SIMVAR_GENERAL_ENG_COMBUSTION_SOUND_PERCENT" />
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Starter" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.1" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" >  
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="CombustionStart" ConeHeading="215" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" >   
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="CombustionStart" CustomSuffix="Propeller" ConeHeading="330" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2">  
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Shutdown" ConeHeading="215" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" >   
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Shutdown" CustomSuffix="Propeller" ConeHeading="330" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" > 
</Sound>
<Sound WwiseEvent="Propeller" ConeHeading="330" FadeOutType="2" FadeOutTime="0.2" RPMMin="1185" WwiseData="true" EngineIndex="2" >
</Sound>

These events are called by the sim itself, but are defined here with the Simvar/Wwise RTPC definitions aswell. This means you have no control on the calls of these Wwise events, but you can change wich simvar will affect wich RTPC.

Hope this answer could help,

Regards,

Alexandre

Hi.

Thanks. I can confirm the tutorials still work, what doesn’t work is my brain.

I found a small typo in my event name definition. As soon as it was fixed the whole engine sound started working.

Read twice cut one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.