How to manage with/without static aircraft of our dev airports?

Dear dev community,
I’ve uploaded and shared several South Californian airports. Some have a lot of static aircraft as in real life with based parked plane.

Some users (politely) complain about this features hard on performance and fps for their system.

I can reduce the number of static plane and of course remove some SimObject (that I used by mistake), but I want to know how you generaly manage - from a user experience perspective - a version of your airport with and without static aircraft.

Are you sharing two versions? With the hassle of managing two builds along the lifecycle of your project? Are you sharing a full version with static + an optional extra separate .BLG (or full small scenery) created as a standalone project with an exclusion? How to do that ? I have tested with a, ExclusionRectangle and SimObject removal but it seems to remove more than expected (non simobject seems vanished).

Any best practise and experience sharing is welcome!

Unless it’s a specific plane, like a museum, I don’t put any static aircraft in my airports. I put in parking spots, and allow the user to control how many static planes show up through the options.

It would be nice if we had a finer level of control over what “class” of aircraft show up in parking spots, and even nicer if you could overlap parking spots like they do in the real world, but, we can’t, and it seems to work well enough as is today, especially with the added level of control aircraft.cfg files have. Though it sure would be nice if aircraft developers actually read the SDK on the aircraft.cfg file and made thoughtful choices on the options. The SDK is quite detailed with regard to AI Static aircraft parking. Not detailed enough, lol, but, good enough detailed. :slight_smile:

(Fortunately, I’m on PC, and I end up editing every single aircraft.cfg file to fix errors in many areas. One of the main reasons I don’t buy planes from the Marketplace so I can edit those files. It completely baffles me why the aircraft.cfg file is encrypted. There is zero proprietary data in it.)

1 Like