SDK version compatibility with MSFS

As a developer of apps for MSFS2020, I am continually switching between the current release (currently 1.36.2.0) and the latest beta release (currently 1.37.12.0 or SU15).

The SDK version for the current MSFS2020 release 1.36.2.0 is 0.23.1.0.
The SDK version for the MSFS SU15 release 1.37.12.0 is 0.24.1.0.

When I switch versions, I take care to uninstall the SDK and re-install the correct SDK version for the release I am using.

However, I recently had a config control issue and accidentally built and released a version of my app compiled against SDK 0.24.1 but released for MSFS 1.36.2.0 which is using SDK 0.23.1.0. I did not notice this as no errors are reported.

I would expect MSFS versions to be backwards-compatible with older SDKs (this is normal and expected), but it surprises me that it is forward compatible with later SDK versions.

Would using an application built with a newer SDK than is currently available for the released version of MSFS2020 cause any issues? If so, why is this version mismatch not reported anywhere? If not, I find this strange…

Thanks,

John

my WASM script built with SU15 crashed on SU14 sim version, so issues may happen

1 Like

I don’t think I released my recompiled WASM, but if I did I have not received any reports on problems with this yet… However, I think I may be using this here locally, and have not noticed any issues so far…

I will check everything again when I switch back to the released version.

I think it depends on what functionality you are using…so you might be lucky to get away with it, but I also would not count on it.

I remember back in the days of FSX and P3D seeing a SimConnect exception SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_VERSION_MISMATCH being thrown if I tried to open a connection to an older version of the sim server. Theoratically it is also still there according to the SDK, but if it is still used by MSFS, I don’t know.

Greets, Ben

Yes - that is what I would expect but I haven’t seen this exception in MSFS. The SimConnect_RequestVersion function from the P3D/FSX SimConnect SDKs also isn’t available - but also not really needed.