SimVar RUDDER_POSITION does not move ground vehicle wheels

Version: 1.35.21.0

Frequency: Consistently

Severity: Blocker

Context: Any ground vehicle

Bug description:
I’m trying to animate the steering wheels of ground vehicle Sim Objects using the RUDDER_POSITION SimVar. This does not work. In contrast, this works fine in Prepar3D.

Repro steps:
Create any Ground vehicle that has steering wheel animation.
Set the RUDDER_POSITION SimVar to a valid position value other than 0.
The Sim Object’s steering wheel animation does not trigger.

I created a simple program that demonstrates the issue.
You can get pre-built binaries from GitHub, or clone the code and build (VS 2022).

Hello @MELKOR2761,

Indeed, the Simvar is not directly settable for Ground Vehicles. I have logged a bug so that this is changed in the documentation.

However, you can use the AXIS_RUDDER_SET Key Event to set the RUDDER_POSITION SimVar.
When you are not able to write a simvar, most of the time one or multiple corresponding key events are exposed.
For your information, behaviors are using GEAR_CENTER_STEER_ANGLE_PCT Simvar, that is just an alias for RUDDER_POSITION in the case of Ground Vehicles

You can see how to use Key Events with the Input Event sample included in the SDK.

Please let me know if this has helped you.

Regards,

Alexandre

Well, no, just updating the documentation to say it’s not possible is not helpful!

Setting RUDDER_POSITION on aircraft changes the nose wheel position, and that too is tied to GEAR_CENTER_STEER_ANGLE_PCT.

So why wouldn’t this also work for ground vehicles? My point is: it should!

Thanks.

Hello @MELKOR2761

As Alexandre mentioned, RUDDER_POSITION can be written to.
You just have to use the key event instead of writing the simvar directly.
This is pretty standard in the SDK and a lot of simvars follow this design.

I’m not sure to understand how this is a problem?

Regards,
Sylvain

Okay, I got around to testing the AXIS_RUDDER_SET event. This does indeed work. Thanks!

1 Like