TextureCompiler - Texture used with incompatable bitmap slots

Building a test plane with ORM and Detail ORM textures - it does not like my detail texture.

What does texture used with incompatible bitmap slots mean? what is current and Other?

It is png 16 bits, 1024 x 1024 - tried with and without Alpha channel

I’ve been running into this error a lot on my current project.

Every time I think I have an idea of what is causing it, something contradicts it. So far I have observed the error under the following conditions:

• A texture actually is plugged into the wrong channel (ex. COMP in a NORM channel).
  • When different detail texture channels are used across materials (ex. I used only detail ALBD on one material, and then detail ALBD and NORM on another).
  • It doesn’t matter if the texture sources are completely different, even having the different channels in use was enough to throw the error.
  • Multiple materials using the same detail ALBD texture joined together, as well as a loose part with Parallax material or all materials joined together under one part, including the Parallax. Either or will throw the error. Though, if I split by material and export those loose parts, all is fine. (Edit: Will also sometimes work if I leave the parallax part loose and click standard, etc again on all the rest of the materials.)
  • A standard material Base Color Alpha is less than 1 when a detail texture material is present in the same package.

Maybe some of this info will be useful. If not in your case, maybe to someone else.

As mentioned, sometimes going through and just clicking off on Standard, Decal, etc for the material type again is enough to clear the error. Even though I have not noticed anything change in the Shader Editor tree…

(Using Blender 3.6.10 and latest official exporter)

This is good information, thanks. I agree with your findings. seems if you put the “wrong” textures into a slot you can get these errors, OR the sim build will just quit without any error and say that it can load the gltf. Then you have to hide parts to find the offending material and fix it.