XBOX Aircraft textures displaying with terrible quality

Version: Flighting SU15 - 1.37.7.0

Frequency: Frequently/Consistently

Severity: Blocker

Context: What package? In edition or mounted from Community? In main menu or in flight? etc…

This is happening to some customers with our FSR500, however they indicate that all their installed airplanes are affected too not only ours…

Bug description:

All internal aircraft textures show up blurried… in incredible bad quality.

Repro steps:

Install SU15 1.37.7.0, and it happens… SU14 all is ok. This occurs to certain / some of our customers, we are unable to replicate internally so we are really puzzle of what could be causing this and we are worried about what will happend when SU15 goes live.

We wondering if Asobo could advise any posible cause for this? any affected customer indicates they see this issue with all the default aircraft and also ours…

Any help / advise would be heavily appreciated.

Attachments:

Affected customer:

Bellow our internal tests on XBOX and how it should look like, important to note below the tester is experiencing an ABO by loading the aircraft on a heavy scenery on purpuse, and still the textures remain sharp as expected:

Thanks for the attention,

Raul Morales
CEO FSReborn

1 Like

Update, we just managed to replicate this for one of our testers on Xbox-S.

Xbox-X remains sharp.

He also sees all the rest of aircraft textures (even default) exactly like reported by one of our customers.

This is how Sting S4 looks on Xbox-S:

Is like all the ambient occlusion textures, normals and albedos are being forced to load from the latest mimap inside the .DDS textures.

Hopefully there is something we can do to control this?

Best,
Raul

Hello @SimbolFSReborn

The texture downgrade is done on purpose when the memory limit is reached and to prevent a more critical result like blacked out avionics or other memory related problems.
However, the current implementation is a bit too sensitive and there will be additional adjustments in later flighting builds (keep an eye on the release notes).

Regards,
Sylvain

3 Likes

It might be worth considering a downgrade on scenery and non-user aircraft before mipping the user object.

1 Like

Hi Sylvain @FlyingRaccoon,

Thanks for the information, I understand this is a WIP but I want to provide my feedback on 1.37.8.0, with this verison it is still pretty bad, pictures for feedback:

FSR500:

A320:

Suggestions

Looks like what gets really bad are the normals maps and AO /comp maps, perhaps for the “interior model” + LOD0 these two maps should be left at mimap 0? and for LOD1 and onwards mipmap it as you guys are doing currenlty?

Regarding Albedo maps, for some panel textures we might need a setting that allows 3rd party developrs to enforce that it should stays at MIMAP 0 so things can be read clear for the pilots, decals seems ok… but sometimes we don’t decal everything in the cockpit… the A320 pictures above are an example, the text is hard to read on the knobs switches, etc. because the albedo was also enforced to low res. Perhaps we could use the flag NOREDUCE on some cockpit textures used for the front, overhead panel for example could be used for this purpuse? The only issue with this approach of course is that we have to submit project changes to Market Place prior to SU15 release to avoid the degradation and it will be too late… so we will end up with the problem for a while until Microsoft market place team is able to vet and clear all the updates summited…

I am just trying to find some sort of compromise to avoid customers feeling so disapointed with the results that simple put they would avoid using many products on Xbox entirely.

Just some food for thoughts for your internal meetings, I am open to suggestions of what can be done also from our side to help you guys achieve the goal, anything really just let me know.

Many thanks to you and the entire team for the constant support.

Best,
Raul

2 Likes

Hello @SimbolFSReborn

1.37.8.0 does not contain most of the changes.
The next build is the the one you want to test.

Regards,
Sylvain

1 Like

This would be great. 3rd party airports seem to dominate the hierarchy with hundreds of 4k textures.

Latest beta 1.37.9.0 the problem still remains… Xbox-S

Example:

Sting S4

//42 camp out a tent:

Problem seems to be the normals and the AO maps…

Was the intention 1.37.9.0 to have these improved? Or we expecting more updates? Just worried since March 26th is approaching…

In case this is going to be how SU15 gets released, what we 3rd party devs can do to improve the looks on xbox? Like this our products would become very low quality i am afraid…

Best,
Raul

Hello @FlyingRaccoon feedback on 1.37.12.0, XBOX-S improvement vs previous version:

Not as sharp vs Xbox-X and PC, but much more acceptable if this is the requirement to prevent CTDs, etc.

Best,
Raul

2 Likes

@FlyingRaccoon

Feedback on 1.37.13.0 - XBOX-S:

Normal maps seems improved vs 1.37.12.0:

Given the limitations of the S platform, I believe these results are very acceptable.

Thanks to Asobo and it’s team for looking into this.

Best,
Raul

3 Likes