Are you still motivated to use WorldHub?

Welp, I’m shocked to report that my KBWI got accepted! So, my morale is a little higher than it was a few days ago. (Though not as high as it could be, as my earlier post might indicate.)

Best of luck! I obviously can’t guarantee anything, but I do have one data point showing that it is possible. I do not know why mine was accepted and others who tried were not. I do think that the technique of doing every single point using Bing may be what got mine accepted, but I cannot be sure, as there was no feedback on my submission. I was going to do Incheon (RKSI) airport in the future, which suffers from the same problem as BWI. But we still live under threat of rejection of our work, so knowing the emotional rollercoaster that BWI was – working for weeks without knowing your work was going to be accepted – I will abstain. Seoul will have to wait for either the MSFS 2024 aerial update or a future Korean world update. Or someone else who’s brave enough to attempt weeks of work without a clear set of documented rules.

A few responses:

My hunch is that the physical World Hub we see now is not going to be much different than when it goes into production for everybody. I could be wrong, but my guess is that they are more focused on process than on adding new bells and whistles. What do the different submissions we send them look like? How hard are the scenarios we give them going to be to get through? Is anyone going to slip them a custom object that they haven’t figured out how to catch yet? (Looks like that already happened once.) Do they have enough staff to support the expected volume of requests?

I don’t expect to see more SDK bells and whistles by the time the World Hub goes into production. I’d be very, very happy to be wrong, though.

I hate to say it, but buildings at small airports are off, too. Like the building in this example, which was not placed on its aerial correctly. Or hangar buildings that are way too tall. They’re all over the place, at both small and large airports, and two days ago, they announced that they would not be fixing them.

This has nothing to do with this discussion, but just a heads up that in the United States, you can get official airport diagrams for free for larger airports (usually class D and above): https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/diagrams/. (Here’s another useful link: chart supplements. When one goes through private pilot training, they drill into everybody’s head to use current charts to ensure that you are getting the most up-to-date information possible. Outside of the United States, you can look up 'AIP" or “AIS”, AKA “aeronautical information portal/service”. Here is a list of European ones: https://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/ais-online. Just note that some of them are behind a paywall.

That’s awesome that you do that! Even though you may not get the feedback you’re hoping for, I salute you.

Okay, sorry for the interruption.

4 Likes