Material with No Albedo, Only COMP and NORMAL?

Hi all. As the title says, is there a way to create a standard material (blender Asobo exporter) with only a COMP and NORMAL map? I have tried leaving the Albedo slot empty and also applying a blank texture in the slot to no avail.

Is this possible somehow? Thank you.

Not sure where this is to be used, but no, you’ll always have at least a Base Color. You could try to use a transparent alpha in the Base Color?

While probably not popular among Flight Simulator mod developers, we use this method a lot on other engines and it certainly holds use when wanting to create certain maps at different texel densities than the albedo to either isolate patterns or create different effects, especially on pavement.

A blank albedo was my first instinct too, but unfortunately it’s opacity seems to drive the other maps.

I will keep tinkering with other work arounds and will report back if I find a solution.

I think vertex color could be used like that. You leave the albedo empty and apply some kind of vertex color and use composite and normal.

I think in this topic they talk about this exactly:

1 Like

Brilliant, look forward to trying it. Thanks a lot!

A decal material with the base colour blend factor set to 0 should achieve what you want I think.

2 Likes

Hey, thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like