Sim Crashing on attempting to ClearDataDefinition

Hi all,

I’m new-ish to the SDK, I’ve been trying to run ClearDataDefinition on all my registered simvars for when a user attempts to either disconnect from SimConnect or close my program. However, I am consistently getting CTDs when I try to do this.

This might be really straightforward, but for the love of god, it’s driving me insane. My program is written in managed C# and I’ve seen that you ideally need to prevent the simvar from sending events and then run ClearDataDefinition. I’m measuring throttle positions and therefore a lot of my registered simvars have a period of every sim frame as opposed to a second.

I’m simply running this code below against an array of typeIds and requestIds I stored when I first registered them.

this.simConnect!.RequestDataOnSimObject(
    eRequestId, etypeId, SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_OBJECT_ID_USER, SIMCONNECT_PERIOD.NEVER,
    SIMCONNECT_DATA_REQUEST_FLAG.DEFAULT, 0,0,0),
    ex => new InternalException($"Failed to invoke 'RequestDataOnSimObject(...)'.", ex));

this.simConnect!.ClearDataDefinition(eTypeId);

However, I am consistently getting CTDs when I try to clear the data definition. I appreciate I’ve probably overlooked something major or whatnot but any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I’m pulling my hair out :smile:

I also appreciate the fact this has been posted on the main forums, I completely overlooked the devsupport forums dedicated to developing with the SDK.

Thanks,
George

Can you catch your program crashing in the native debugger and then share the failing stack? I assume it crashes without error?

Both MSFS and my program just crash, MSFS first then my program with no trail even in the debugger. I have the .dmp file for MSFS and this is what that says, I understand it’s not much help.

Ah so MSFS itself is crashing. That’s a bug for Asobo since the remote calls shouldn’t be able to trigger a title crash. You might want to just collect that MSFS .dmp file and re-file as a bug following the guidelines here: How to report a bug or crash

Post complete code.

You RequestData and then ClearData right after, in a tight loop? W/out even getting a chance to read the data? I’m not surprised it crashes. Keep in mind these are async requests.

-Max

Inside my SimConnect context, SimVarId holds all the currently registered events and aircraft is a derived class that performs SimConnect requests and listens to SimConnect events:

public void Disconnect()
 {
     foreach (IAircraft aircraft in aircrafts)
     {
         aircraft.Dispose();
     }

aircrafts.Clear();

if (simCon != null)
     {
         foreach (SimVarId sid in SimVarIds)
         {
             simCon.StopReceivingPrimitiveData(sid.RequestId, sid.TypeId);
         }

simCon.Close();
         simCon = null!;
     }
 }

The code below relates to the simCon variable in the code above:

public void Close()
{
  if (this.simConnect == null) return;

var primitiveTypes = primitiveManager.GetRegisteredTypesWithSimVarNames();

primitiveTypes.ForEach(primitive => UnregisterPrimitive(primitive.id, primitive.simVarName));
    this.primitiveManager.RemoveAll();

var types = typeManager.GetRegisteredTypes();
    types.ForEach(q => UnregisterType(q));

var eventIds = eventManager.Select(q => q.EventId).Select(q => (int)q).ToList();
  eventIds.ForEach(q => UnregisterSystemEvent(q));

this.simConnect.Dispose();
  this.simConnect = null;
  this.winHandleManager.Dispose();
  Logger.LogMethodEnd();
}

public void UnregisterPrimitive(int typeId, string simVarName)
{
    EnsureConnected();

EEnum eTypeId = (EEnum)typeId;
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("Unregistering primitive type {0}", eTypeId);
    Try(() =>
    {
        this.simConnect!.ClearDataDefinition(eTypeId);
    }, ex => new InternalException($"Failed to unregister primitive type {eTypeId}.", ex));

}

public void StopReceivingPrimitiveData(int requestId, int typeId)
{
   EnsureConnected();

EEnum eRequestId = (EEnum)requestId;
   EEnum etypeId = (EEnum)typeId;

Try(() =>
   this.simConnect!.RequestDataOnSimObject(
       eRequestId, etypeId, SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_OBJECT_ID_USER, SIMCONNECT_PERIOD.NEVER,
       SIMCONNECT_DATA_REQUEST_FLAG.DEFAULT, 0,0,0),
       ex => new InternalException($"Failed to invoke 'RequestDataOnSimObject(...)'.", ex));

Logger.LogMethodEnd();
}

I understand the issue here is a timing issue, but what is the best way to ensure that the definition has stopped sending events, is there some sort of indicator at all I can use to know that I can then call ClearDataDefinition?